Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Crazy Catholics

Now I am by no means Catholic. At all. There's not an ounce of Catholic blood in me. And here I am, teaching in a Catholic school...

I've learned a lot in my first week at the school. I myself have gotten closer to God, and that's never a bad thing. It was weird for me at first, coming from a public school education. I decided to post some things that have learned in general over the past week

1. They pay more for tuition than I did a semester at BG. And the teachers make it worth it. One of the "teacher goals" is to make it worth that $7200 and make the school better than a public school (which it is).

2. Uniforms. And man, are they strict. I've never been in a school that required uniforms. But because of the uniforms, the kids can't show personality with their clothing. You know how they do it? With their socks and shoes. Mismatched crazy colored socks with the most eclectic shoes. I don't think anyone in the school has the same pair. It's cool, I like it.

3. Lack of air conditioning. OMFGZ! It's hot, even when it's 70 degrees outside. And humid. ALL THE TIME. I like that the band room is air conditioned (not the office though) and that I have never been on the third floor.

4. Prayer. I was thrown for a loop at first. And it still caught me off guard when someone came in the teacher work room looking for a Bible today. There is prayer before the announcements, and "Under God" is in the pledge without argument, and the whole school stops at 3pm to pray before the final bell rings.

5. My very hardy immune system has once again been defeated. But it's ok, see, every time I start teaching at a new school, I get sick the within first week, then I'm ok the rest of the year. This happened to me during student teaching too. Crazy kids and all their icky germs. So I'll suffer through this one, despite the fact that I have no voice, my throat is on fire, my eyes are watering and I can't breathe out my nose unless I stand up...then it runs like a snot faucet. And with that mental picture, I think I'm done. Here's hoping I'm better before the weekend...

No comments: