Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Green Thumb?

One of the first things I did to the house when we moved in was plant a garden.  Mostly because they already had a nice very fertile patch of garden there.  That's easy, buy plants, put in ground.

Last weekend, I was going to pull a couple weeds before it got bad.  I didn't get around to it.  We went on vacation, and I came back having to hunt for my herbs in my weed bed.  So yesterday  i think, or maybe Monday, I went out and started pulling.  I felt like I was in little league playing in the grass in the outfield.  It was bad.  Then the neighbor came out and let me borrow his hoe.  So I got most of it scraped up/turned over.  I went out this morning and the nasty little buggers are back.  Seriously!  

I went out and bought a hoe today and played in the dirt again.  I've heard that grass clippings turn to compost and keep the weeds from getting light, so i went to our grass pile and spread out what we have.  From now on, Nagi's job is to bag the grass and then put it on the garden.  I also bought a couple watermelon plants that sprawl to take up some of the empty space.  The garden is huge.   I would say 4x10 or 12? 

Any other suggestions or tricks to getting rid of weeds?  I've heard boiling water and salt will do it too, but I'm worried about hitting the veggies on accident.   I really don't want to use chemicals because I plan on eating what's out there.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm out every single day pulling weeds out of our garden. Grass clippings is the easiest thing to do unfortunatly. I've never heard of the salt water thing.... I do know that if salt gets on your grass, it can kill it so I would be scared to try that one. Keep us updated on your garden!

Anonymous said...

Put down newspaper first, then grass clippings to keep the newspaper down.

Starbuck said...

Good idea. I'll have to wait for Nate to make more grass clippings...